2017 Grey Cup Toronto Argonauts vs Calgary Stampeders

Game summary

Toronto won the coin toss and opted to defer to the second half. Calgary chose to receive the ball. The game was played in inclement conditions, with snow falling prior to kickoff and persisting throughout. Neither team could sustain drives throughout much of the first quarter until eleven minutes in, when Stamps quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell connected with Kamar Jorden for the contest’s first touchdown. Calgary missed the subsequent two-point convert attempt, but found themselves up 6–0.

Scrimmaging from their own 10-yard line, the Argos opened the second quarter with a bang. DeVier Posey caught a pass from Toronto quarterback Ricky Ray at the Argo 44 and scampered to the end zone to tie the game 6–6. At 100 yards, this now stands as the longest touchdown pass in Grey Cup history, breaking the previous mark of 99 yards set by Montreal’s Anthony Calvillo and Pat Woodcock in 2002. Calgary would respond five minutes later with a touchdown by running back Jerome Messam and a successful two-point convert to go up 14-6. While the Argos were shut out offensively in the second quarter, they scored two points thanks to a safety conceded by Calgary punter Rob Maver who, after mishandling a high snap, kicked the ball out of the back of the end zone. Rene Paredes booted a field goal with five seconds left in the quarter to put the Stampeders up 17–8 at the half.

Toronto opened the scoring in the second half four minutes into the third quarter with a two-yard touchdown run by running back James Wilder Jr.. A successful two-point conversion made the score 17–16. Jerome Messam would find the end zone again for the Stampeders roughly five minutes later, putting Calgary up 24–16 after a successful convert by Parades. The Stamps would protect this lead into the fourth quarter and appeared well on their way to victory when, with the ball on the Argo 8-yard-line, Toronto DB Cassius Vaughn pounced on a Kamar Jorden fumble and returned the ball 109 yards for a touchdown—another Grey Cup record. A two-point convert reception by Declan Cross tied the game at 24–24 with under five minutes to play. With 53 seconds left, Argo kicker Lirim Hajrullahu kicked the team’s lone field goal, giving Toronto its first lead at 27–24. On their final possession Calgary drove the ball deep into Argonaut territory, but instead of attempting a game-tying field goal decided to go for the jugular. On 2nd-and-5 from the Argonaut 25, Mitchell’s would-be touchdown pass fell into the hands of Argo defender Matt Black, sealing the victory for the Double Blue.

Scoring summary

First Quarter
CGY – TD Jorden 33 yard pass (missed two-point convert) (4:00) 6–0 CGY
Second Quarter
TOR – TD Posey 100 yard pass (missed convert) (15:00) 6–6 Tie
CGY – TD Messam 6 yard rush (Daniels two-point convert) (10:21) 14–6 CGY
TOR – Safety Maver (5:46) 14–8 CGY
CGY – FG Paredes 39 yards (0:05) 17-8 CGY
Third Quarter
TOR – TD Wilder Jr 2 yard rush (Cross two-point convert) (10:51) 17–16 CGY
CGY – TD Messam 6 yard pass (Parades convert) (6:19) 24–16 CGY
Fourth Quarter
TOR – TD Vaughn 109 yard fumble return (Cross two-point convert) (5:16) 24–24 Tie
TOR – FG Hajrullahu 32 yards (0:53) 27–24 TOR