2019 Grey Cup Hamilton Tiger Cats vs Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Game summary

The Winnipeg defense started the game strong, forcing two turnovers in the first five minutes of game time. The second turnover, a Willie Jefferson sack leading to Dane Evans fumbling for a total of 35 yards lost, led to an Andrew Harris rushing touchdown and 7–0 Blue Bombers lead on the next play. Hamilton crossed the field quickly over two long catch-and-runs by Brandon Banks, but a pair of unsuccessful run plays limited them to a field goal, cutting the lead to 7–3. The Bombers immediately answered with a big 30-yard toss from Zach Collaros to Kenny Lawler, but failed to continue the drive or make a 48-yard field goal. After a promising Tiger-Cats drive was ended by David Watford failing a 3rd-and-1 quarterback sneak, the first quarter ended 8–3 for Winnipeg. The teams traded field goals in the first part of the second quarter to make the score 11–6. After Hamilton’s Lirim Hajrullahu had a 46-yard punt returned 32 yards by Janarion Grant, the Bombers had good field position and took advantage, with Harris capping off 40 of the drive’s 50 yards in two plays for a receiving touchdown. The half ended with a short Justin Medlock field goal for Winnipeg, giving them a 21–6 advantage.

The Blue Bombers had not won a Grey Cup since 1999 but legal online casino Canada betting had them as clear favourites in this game, However having a big lead at the half and being the favourite doesn’t mean much until the final whistle blows. As a result Bomber fans had to be optimistic and nervous sitting on the edge of there seats.

The Blue Bombers began the second half by chewing almost four minutes off the clock, ending with a 39-yard field goal to make it 24–6. The Tiger-Cats attempted to respond, but on reaching the opposing 25-yard line were once again stopped by the Winnipeg defence for another turnover on downs. However, Winnipeg went two-and-out, and this time Hamilton capitalized with an eight-play touchdown drive, missing the two-point convert to make the score 24–12. With three minutes left in the quarter, the Bombers marched down the field on the strength of a Drew Wolitarsky 45-yard catch-and-run play for another field goal, now leading 27–12.

Down by two possessions, Hamilton could get no success in the fourth quarter. They were forced to punt after a 47-yard pass to inside the 10 was knocked away from Mike Jones (HAM receiver) by Mike Jones (WPG d-back). Winnipeg proceeded to eat six minutes off the clock as they drove 80 yards down the field and almost scored a touchdown that was overturned after review, settling for a field goal and a 30–12 lead with only 6:12 to go. The Bomber defence then did its part, sacking Evans on the next two plays for two fumbles and another turnover. Winnipeg took the ball for another field goal and a 33–12 lead, with Justin Medlock tying the Grey Cup records for field goals made (6) and attempted (7) in one game, and the team scoring points on 7 of their last 8 possessions. The meaningless turnover on downs in garbage time was Winnipeg’s only turnover in the entire postseason.